Adam J. Sigman
p - 205.930.5755
f - 205.212.2870
At Sirote, Adam serves as a Shareholder in the Corporate & Securities and Real Estate Practice Areas, representing developers and investors across a broad spectrum of asset categories, including retail, office, industrial/warehouse, multi-family, healthcare and life sciences, restaurant and hospitality, entertainment and sports, education, and agricultural, ranch, and hunting properties. He also counsels real estate clients in their general corporate, intellectual property, management and operations, and tax planning matters.
Awards & Accreditations
Extensive experience with acquisitions, dispositions, land use and zoning, leasing, construction contracts, construction and permanent financing, and municipal participation/incentives in real estate projects.
- B-Metro Magazine, Top Lawyer, 2018
- The Best Lawyers in America©
- Real Estate Law 2008-2019
- Corporate Law 2015-2019
- Chambers USA, Real Estate, 2008-2018
- Alabama Super Lawyers Rising Stars, 2010-2011
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, Real Estate, 2012-2017
- AV-Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™
- Client Choice Award, Commercial Property Category for Alabama, 2014
- Birmingham Business Journal’s “Top 40 Under 40,” 2006
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Alabama State Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- Real Property, Trust and Estate Section
- Past Chairman, Ethics and Professionalism Committee
- Construction Industry Forum
- International Council of Shopping Centers
University of Southern California Gould School of Law
BA, magna cum laude, 1995
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Urban Development Group
- Board of Directors, 2010-11
- Camp Smile-A-Mile
- Board of Directors, 2003-08
- Zoning Board of Adjustment of the City of Birmingham
- Appointed Member, Board of Directors, 2001-03
- Represented the sponsor and lead investor in the acquisition and financing of multiple, new construction, Class-A, multifamily projects in the southeastern U.S., comprising approximately 1000 apartment units, which included the simultaneous closings of registered, private placement memorandum equity raises and senior and mezzanine credit facilities for each acquisition, at an aggregate project value of approximately $150mm.
- Represented the sponsor and lead investor in the sale of multiple, Class-A, multifamily projects in the southeastern U.S., comprising approximately 1,500 apartment units and which included the forward and reverse, tax-deferred exchanges of like-kind property under Internal Revenue Code Section 1031 and the treasury regulations promulgated thereunder, at an aggregate project value of approximately $250mm.
- Represented the office complex/campus owner in the 2014 leasing of 100,000 rentable square feet to a health care and technology company in a primary office-submarket of Birmingham, Alabama.
- Represented the sponsor, lead investor and developer in the acquisition, development, construction financing and leasing of land in downtown Birmingham, Alabama, for a new, Class-A, LEED-certified, medical clinic and adjacent parking facility for the United States of America-Veterans Administration (Birmingham Project 2014).
- Represented the sponsor, lead investor and developer in the acquisition, development, construction financing and leasing of a new, Class-A, LEED, office building/campus for the United States of America-General Services Administration (United States Treasury Department-Birmingham), comprised of approximately 85,000 RSF and a total project development cost of approximately $30,000,000.
- Represented the developer, as consultant to a municipality, in connection with the acquisition, development and financing of a baseball stadium, park, and downtown redevelopment zone, including design and construction contracts, with a total project cost of approximately $60,000,000.
- Represented the developer in its acquisition, financing, development and leasing of a 500,000 square foot industrial warehouse campus project with a total project development cost of approximately $25,000,000, involving the assemblage of real estate, re-zoning, other land use planning, master design-build agreements, simultaneous sales to two light manufacturing suppliers, the procurement of municipal participation for new infrastructure and improvements to existing infrastructure for the project (including power/electric systems re-engineering and delivery), negotiation and procurement of railroad access and transportation contracts, and the leasing of the project.
- Represented the developer in its acquisition, financing, development and leasing of an 800,000 square foot power center with a total project development cost of approximately $45,000,000, involving the assemblage of real estate, re-zoning, other land use planning, simultaneous sales to two anchor retailers, the procurement of municipal participation for new infrastructure and improvements to existing infrastructure for the project, and the leasing of the project, including, in-line space, outparcels and anchors and junior anchors.
- Represented the developer in its acquisition, development and financing of a historic office building and warehouse in a downtown/ urban setting, with a total project development cost of approximately $10,000,000, which included converting and rehabilitating the vacant structure into 74 loft apartments and underground parking, Alabama Housing Finance Authority bond financing, the sale of historic and affordable housing tax credits to an investor sponsored by Fannie Mae, and procuring a subordinated HUD/ HOME Loan from the City of Birmingham, Alabama.
- Represented numerous landlords and tenants in Lease negotiations for office, retail and industrial/warehouse and agricultural properties (in excess of 1,000,000 square feet in the aggregate).
- Writer, Commercial Real Estate Blog
- Presenter, Ethics for the Real Estate Lawyer, Samford University Cumberland School of Law Seminar: Trends in Commercial Real Estate, 2010
- Planning Committee Member, Samford University Cumberland School of Law Seminar (co-sponsored by the Real Property Trusts and Estates Section of the Alabama State Bar) Trends in Commercial Real EstateT, 2009-10
- Presenter, Acquisition and Development Due Diligence, Lorman Education Services Seminar: Strategic Planning for Shopping Centers and the Commercial Lease in Alabama, 2003, 2004
- Presenter, American Bar Association Real Property, Trust and Estate Section 2012 Spring Symposium: Hot Topics in Ethics for Real Estate Lawyers, 2012
- Author and Editor, The Ethics Corner, Property & Probate Magazine (a publication of the ABA Real Property, Trust and Estate Law Section), 2010-12