p - 205.930.5307
Robert chairs Sirote’s Litigation Group, where he focuses on the representation of clients in insurance, business, and product liability cases in both state and federal courts. Robert counsels businesses on intellectual property matters as well as labor and employment law. His litigation work has garnered him accolades that include being named to the Chambers USA list for Litigation in 2013 to 2017 as well as The Best Lawyers in America© list for Commercial Litigation from 2008 to 2018 and Personal Injury Litigation – Defendants from 2011 to 2018.
Awards & Accreditations
- President, Birmingham Bar Association, 2013
- Lawyer of the Year, Birmingham Legal Secretaries Association, 2013
- The Best Lawyers in America©
- Bet-the-Company Litigation 2018
- Commercial Litigation 2008-18
- Personal Injury Litigation - Defendants, 2011-18
- Chambers USA, Litigation, 2013-17
- Mid-South Super Lawyers, 2008-16
- AV-Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™
- Birmingham Magazine Top Attorney, Business Litigation, 2009
- Alabama Defense Lawyers Association
- Alabama, Georgia, Mississippi, and Tennessee Bar Associations
- Alabama Law Foundation, Fellow
- American Bar Association
- American Bar Foundation
- Birmingham Bar Association
- Birmingham Bar Foundation, Fellow
- Birmingham Inns of Court
- Defense Research Institute (DRI)
- International Association of Defense Counsel
- Law Clerk to Honorable James H. Hancock, US District Judge, Northern District of Alabama,1982-83
- Leadership Birmingham, 2013-14
- Litigation Counsel of America,
- Participated in numerous trials in both state and federal courts
- Reported Opinions
- Ambler, LLC v. National Sur. Corp., 2014 WL 6608035 (N.D. Ala. 2014)
- Auburn University v. Moody, 2008 WL 5214594 (M.D. Ala. 2008)
- BriovaRx, LLC v. Transcript Pharmacy, Inc., 163 So.3d 311 (Miss. Ct. App. 2015)
- Burke v. General Motors Corp., 2007 WL 625639 (11th Cir. 2007)
- Butler v. Town of Argo, 871 So.2d (Ala. 2003)
- Edwards v. Moore, 699 So.2d 220 (Ala. Civ. App. 1997)
- Ehrhardt v. Haddad Restaurant Group, Inc.; 2011 WL 4928707 (11th Cir. 2011)
- Ex parte General Motors Corp., 769 So.2d 903 (Ala. 1999)
- Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co. v. Illinois Nat. Ins. Co., 2015 WL 1198079 (S.D. Miss. 2015)
- Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co. v. Merritt, WL 9390944 (N.D. Ga. 2008)
- Insurasource, Inc. v. Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co., 2012 WL 1365083 (S.D. Miss. 2012)
- Interstate Fire & Cas. Co. v. Abernathy, 93 So.3d 352 (1st Dist. Fla. 2012)
- Killinger v. Samford University, 113 F.3d 196 (11th Cir. 1997)
- Maciasz v. Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co., 988 So.2d 991 (Ala. 2008)
- Medalogix, LLC v. Alacare Home Health Services, Inc., 2015 WL 6158026 (M.D. Tenn. 2015)
- Nihon Rufuto Co., Ltd. v. Nidek Medical Products, Inc., 2011 WL 3505211 (11th Cir. 2011)
- Robbins v. Day, 954 F.2d 679 (N.D. Ala. 1992)
- Rose v. General Motors Corp., 323 F.Supp.2d 1244 (N.D. Ala. 2004)
- Scott v. Bentley, 2015 WL 92229 (N.D. Ga. 2015)
- United States v. Vernon, 723 F.3d 1234 (11th Cir. 2013)
- Verchot v. General Motors Corp., 812 So.2d 296 (Ala. 2001)
University of Alabama School of Law
- Alabama Law Review, Editor
University of Alabama
- Birmingham International Center
- Board of Directors, legal counsel
- Newcomen Society
- Downtown Kiwanis Club
- Certified high school lacrosse referee
United States v. Jeff Vernon, 723 F.3d 1234 (11th Cir. 2013)
Co-counsel for Defendant in the trial of a white collar criminal Anti-Kickback Statute case. The case was tried to verdict after two week trial in federal court in Southern District of Alabama.
Interstate Fire & Cas. Co. v. Abernathy, 93 So.3d 352 (Fla. 1st Dist. 2012); pet. for review denied 114 So. 3d 932 (Sup. Ct. Fla. 2013).
Nihon Rufuto Co., Ltd. V. Nidek Medical Products, Inc., 437 Fed.Appx. 782 (11th Cir. 2011)
Lead counsel in the defense of a business dispute alleging breach of contract brought by a Japanese company against an Alabama manufacturer of oxygen concentrators. Summary judgment was obtained at the trial court and this decision was affirmed by the Eleventh Circuit
Auburn University v. Moody, 2008 WL 5214594 (M.D. Ala. 2008)
Lead counsel for Auburn University and obtained injunctive relief against an infringer of the Auburn trademarks. After a full Preliminary Injunction hearing, the trial court entered an injunction in favor of Auburn University.
Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co. v. Merritt, 2008 WL 9390944 (N.D. Ga. 2008)
Lead counsel for Fireman’s Fund in this case which arose out of a serious personal injury action. Initially, a judgment was entered in the Georgia state court in excess of $14.6 Million Dollars. Case was settled favorably after we removed the case to federal court and challenged the judgment.
Maciasz v. Fireman’s Fund Ins. Co., 988 So.2d 991 (Ala. 2008)
Lead counsel for Fireman’s Fund where a consent judgment was entered in favor of the plaintiffs in the amount of $1,500,000. In the subsequent trial to determine if the Fireman’s Fund policy provided coverage for this accident, summary judgment was obtained in favor of Fireman’s Fund. The summary judgment was affirmed on appeal by the Alabama Supreme Court.
Rose v. General Motors Corp., 323 F.Supp.2d 1244 (N.D. Ala. 2004)
Summary judgment obtained on behalf of General Motors.
Butler v. Town of Argo, 871 So.2d (Ala. 2003)
Lead counsel for the Mayor of Argo in a suit for defamation and invasion of privacy. The case tried for two weeks before a jury in Jefferson County. We obtained a defense verdict for the Mayor.
Verchot v. General Motors Corp., 812 So.2d 296 (Ala. 2001)
Lead counsel for General Motors in products liability case where multiple plaintiffs suffered severe injuries in an accident. We obtained summary judgment in the trial court and the judgment was affirmed for GM by the Alabama Supreme Court. A very favorable opinion was issued by the Supreme Court which limits the use by plaintiffs of evidence of other accidents at trial.
Ex parte General Motors Corp., 769 So.2d 903 (Ala. 1999)
Defense of a breach of warranty case for GM that was appealed to the Court of Civil Appeals and Alabama Supreme Court.
Killinger v. Samford University, 113 F.3d 196 (11th Cir. 1997)
Suit on behalf of a professor against University based upon claims of discrimination based upon viewpoint of professor.
Robbins v. Day, 954 F.2d 679 (N.D. Ala. 1992)
Defense of stockbroker in suit for alleged mishandling of investments in account.