W. Todd Carlisle
, Shareholder & President
p - 205.930.5154
f - 205.212.3887
W. Todd Carlisle is President, Board Member, and Shareholder of the firm where his practice focuses on mergers and acquisitions and general corporate representation with an emphasis in the financial services industry. Todd is part of a team that provides both strategic and tactical representation of national property/casualty and life insurance distribution platforms, regional and national banks and wealth management firms. In the past five years, he has handled numerous merger & acquisition transactions with an aggregate consideration in excess of $2.0 billion, ranging in size from $10.0 million to more than $500.0 million in multiple industries.
Awards & Accreditations
Advises clients in diverse industries, including insurance, financial services, health care and technology.
- Best Lawyer®, Mergers & Acquisitions "Lawyer of the Year" in Birmingham, 2017
- The Best Lawyers in America®
- Corporate Law, 2014-18
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2011-2018
- Corporate Law, 2014-18
- Chambers USA, Corporate/Commercial, 2015-2017
- AV-Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™
- Birmingham Magazine, “Top Attorney” for Corporate Finance
- Birmingham, Alabama State, and American Bar Associations
- President of Sirote & Permutt, PC
- Serves as general counsel for private and public companies providing a broad range of general legal representation as well as providing strategic business advice to senior management and boards of directors on corporate governance, dispute resolution, litigation management, and strategic planning.
- Represents public and private companies as well as venture capital and private equity firms in connection with merger, acquisition and disposition transactions.
- Represents national brokerage and retail life insurance agencies as well as property and casualty insurance agencies and regularly advises clients on legal, compliance, regulatory, strategic and operational issues that arise in the insurance business.
- Represents private and public companies in initial public offering and secondary public offerings of equity and debt securities, as well as private placement transactions for companies at all stages of development.
- Served as General Counsel of Emageon, Inc. (NASDAQ: EMAG) from 2006-09. Served as General Counsel of Highland Capital Holding Corp. from 1998-2005 and as General Counsel and Chief Operating Officer from 2004-05. As a member of the senior management team of Highland Capital Holding Corp., a national insurance and financial services firm, Todd was responsible for advising the company from inception of its initial business plan through capital raising, acquisition, and growth cycles and through a strategic merger with a publicly traded company (NYSE:NFP).
Cumberland School of Law
- Editor-in-Chief, Cumberland Law Review
- Curia Honoris, Top 10-percent
- President, Student Government Association
Alumni of the Year (with Karen), 2015
- United Way of Central Alabama
- Board of Directors, (Chair, Audit Committee)
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- Member (Public Representative) of Board of Trustees (Member, Executive Committee)
- Samford University – Howard College of Arts and Sciences
- Advisory Board
- Campus Outreach Ministries
- Board of Directors
- Rotary Club of Birmingham
- Member (Chair, Compliance Committee)
- Representation of real estate investment trust issuer in $104 million initial public offering and in successive secondary stock and convertible debentures public offerings raising in excess of $150 million in additional investment capital.
- Representation of physician practice management company issuer in four rounds of private placement transactions and a $57 million initial public offering
- Representation of systems integration and engineering government contractor in sale to a public company in a $114 million transaction
- Special counsel to real estate investment trust issuer in $113 million initial public offering and in successive secondary common stock and convertible debenture public offerings
- Representation of public retail supermarket company in $1.2 billion acquisition by private equity firm, including related debt and equity financing transactions
- Representation of public retail drug store company in $38 million secondary common public stock offering
- Representation of computer hardware company issuer in $37 million initial public offering and related acquisition transactions
- Representation of public retail drug store company in connection with hostile tender offer and related sale of company in $380 million transaction
- Representation of wrought iron furniture manufacturer issuer in $42 million initial public offering
- Representation of national insurance and financial services company in connection with institutional private placement transactions, more than 30 separate acquisition transactions and subsequent sale to a public company in a $48 million transaction
- Representation of medical imaging company in sale to a public company in $42 million transaction
- Editor, Privacy & Data Security Blog
- Co-Author, “Corporation Law: Alabama," Practical Law Company, August 2015
- Speaker, "Starting a Not for Profit Corporation in Alabama," Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants (Birmingham Chapter), May 2015
- Speaker, "Cybercrimes – Helping Lawyers Help Their Clients – And Themselves," CLE Alabama, October 2014
- Speaker, "The Ethics of Cloud Computing", Birmingham Bar Association, January 2013
- Speaker, “Data Security”, Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants, November 2012
- Speaker, “Assessing and Managing Risk: The Role of Insurance”, American Bar Association Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section, May 2011
- Speaker, “Nonprofit Risk Management and Liability: The Role of Insurance”, Alabama Association of Nonprofits - Legal Issues for Nonprofit Entities, October 2010
- Speaker, “Assessing and Managing Risk: The Role of Insurance”, Southeastern Business Law Institute, 2009