Advises clients in diverse industries, including insurance and financial services, technology and health care.
- The Best Lawyers in America©
- Corporate Law, 2013-15
- Mergers and Acquisitions Law, 2011-15
- AV-Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™
- Birmingham Magazine“Top Attorney” for Corporate Finance
- Birmingham, Alabama State and American Bar Associations
- Co-chair, Privacy & Data Security Practice Group
- General Counsel Services – Serves as general counsel for mid-sized private and public companies providing broad variety of general legal representation as well as providing strategic business advice to senior management and board of directors on corporate governance, dispute resolution, litigation management and strategic planning. Served as Executive Vice President and General Counsel of Highland Capital Holding Corp. from 1998-2005 and as General Counsel of Emageon, Inc. (NASDAQ: EMAG) from 2006-2009.
- Merger and Acquisition Services – Representation of public and private companies as well as venture capital and private equity firms in connection with merger, acquisition and disposition transactions.
- Insurance Distribution Services – Represents national brokerage and retail life insurance agencies as well as property and casualty insurance agencies and regularly advises clients on legal, compliance, regulatory, strategic and operational issues that arise in the insurance business.
- Securities Transaction Services – Representation of private and public companies in initial public offering and secondary public offerings of equity and debt securities, as well as private placement transactions for companies at all stages of development.
- Served from 1998-2005 in various capacities as a co-founder and member of the senior management team of Highland Capital Holding Corp., a national insurance and financial services firm, where he was responsible for advising the company from inception of its initial business plan through capital raising, acquisition, and growth cycles and through a strategic merger with a publicly traded company (NYSE:NFP).
- Represented individual and corporate taxpayers in tax controversies before the IRS Appeals Office, US Tax Court, US District Court, and in state administrative and judicial proceedings
Cumberland School of Law
- Editor-in-Chief, Cumberland Law Review
- Curia Honoris, Top 10-percent
- President, Student Government Association
- United Way of Central Alabama
- Board of Directors, (Chair, Audit Committee)
- Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges
- Member (Public Representative) of Board of Trustees (Member, Executive Committee)
- Campus Outreach Ministries
- Board of Directors
- Rotary Club of Birmingham
- Representation of real estate investment trust issuer in $104 million initial public offering and in successive secondary stock and convertible debentures public offerings raising in excess of $150 million in additional investment capital.
- Representation of physician practice management company issuer in four rounds of private placement transactions and a $57 million initial public offering
- Representation of systems integration and engineering government contractor in sale to a public company in a $114 million transaction
- Special counsel to real estate investment trust issuer in $113 million initial public offering and in successive secondary common stock and convertible debenture public offerings
- Representation of public retail supermarket company in $1.2 billion acquisition by private equity firm, including related debt and equity financing transactions
- Representation of public retail drug store company in $38 million secondary common public stock offering
- Representation of computer hardware company issuer in $37 million initial public offering and related acquisition transactions
- Representation of public retail drug store company in connection with hostile tender offer and related sale of company in $380 million transaction
- Representation of wrought iron furniture manufacturer issuer in $42 million initial public offering
- Representation of national insurance and financial services company in connection with institutional private placement transactions, more than 30 separate acquisition transactions and subsequent sale to a public company in a $48 million transaction
- Representation of medical imaging company in sale to a public company in $42 million transaction
- Editor, Privacy & Data Security Blog
- Speaker, "The Ethics of Cloud Computing", Birmingham Bar Association, January 2013
- Author, “Corporation Law: Alabama”, Practical Law Company, May 2012
- Speaker, “Data Security”, Alabama Society of Certified Public Accountants, November 2012
- Speaker, “Assessing and Managing Risk: The Role of Insurance”, American Bar Association Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section, May 2011
- Speaker, “Nonprofit Risk Management and Liability: The Role of Insurance”, Alabama Association of Nonprofits - Legal Issues for Nonprofit Entities, October 2010
- Speaker, “Assessing and Managing Risk: The Role of Insurance”, Southeastern Business Law Institute, 2009