p - 205.930.5125
f - 205.212.2935
Matt is a shareholder with the firm and a member of the Corporate & Tax Practice Group as well as the Privacy & Data Security Practice Group. As a trusted advisor to his business clients, Matt regularly handles a wide range of issues across a variety of industries, including technology, healthcare, financial services, insurance, real estate, retail and restaurants.
Awards & Accreditations
Matt advises clients in diverse industries, including technology, healthcare, financial services, insurance, real estate, retail and restaurants.
- Alabama Super Lawyers, Rising Stars 2013-15
- AV-Preeminent, Martindale-Hubbell® Peer Review Rating™
- Named by Birmingham Magazine as one of ”Birmingham’s Top Attorneys” for Business Law
- Named by Birmingham Magazine as one of ”Birmingham’s Top Attorneys” for Corporate Finance
- American Bar Association, Alabama State Bar Association and Birmingham Bar Association
- General Counsel Services – Serves as general counsel for mid-sized public and private companies providing a broad variety of general legal representation as well as providing practical business advice to senior management and board of directors on corporate governance, strategic planning, intellectual property prosecution and protection, customer contracting, procurement, labor and employment matters, regulatory compliance, risk management, dispute resolution, litigation management and equity plan administration.
- Technology Contracting – Extensive experience in the development and sale of business technologies as well as the procurement of such technologies. Regularly provides support through all aspects of the procurement and sales process, from Requests for Proposals to the execution of definitive agreements. Experience includes preparation and negotiation of license agreements, service and support agreements, consulting and development agreements, SAAS and ASP agreements, cloud services agreements and other web-related agreements.
- Merger, Acquisition and Divestiture Services – Representation of public and private companies as well as venture capital and private equity firms in connection with merger, acquisition and divestiture transactions.
- Privacy and Data Security – Advises public and private companies regarding their compliance with the various laws, regulations and industry standards regulating the collection, use, sharing and protection of business and consumer information.
- Securities Transaction Services – Representation of public and private companies in initial public offering and secondary public offerings of equity and debt securities, as well as private placement transactions for companies at all stages of development.
Tulane University School of Law
- Magic Moments
- Board of Directors
- Moss Rock Festival
- Board of Directors
- The Literacy Council Junior Board
- Served as Vice President and Associate General Counsel of Emageon Inc. (NASDAQ: EMAG) from 2006-2009.
- Lead attorney supporting IT procurement staffs for two Fortune 100 financial services companies.
- Lead attorney supporting US sales team for a Fortune 200 IT company.
- Author, Sirote's Privacy & Data Security Blog
- Author, “Drafting and Negotiating a Franchise Agreement Checklist”, Practical Law Company, March 2013
- Author, “The Franchise Rule and its Disclosure Requirements”, Practical Law Company, March 2013
- Author, "Getting Hot at the Exceptional Foundation Chili Cookoff", Sirote Supports, April 2012
- Speaker, "Technology Procurement and the Fundamentals of the Corporate Acquisition Process", Lorman Education Services
- Speaker, "Maximizing Vendor Relations", Lorman Education Services
- Speaker, "Limited Liability Companies and Limited Liability Partnerships in Alabama", National Business Institute