R. Michael Murphy
p - 205.930.5166
f - 205.212.2876
Mike’s work focuses primarily on mergers, acquisitions and general corporate law. He has experience in advising businesses in connection with a broad range of corporate matters, including corporate structure, formation and reorganization, contract negotiation, employee incentives programs, licensing, and non-compete and other employment issues. Mike also works with financial services firms, including several multi-state insurance distribution companies.
- Alabama State Bar Association
- Advises clients in diverse industries, such as insurance, financial services, technology, and health care, with an emphasis on providing the following services to clients of the firm.
- Insurance Distribution Services – Works closely with national brokerage and retail life insurance agencies as well as property and casualty insurance agencies and regularly advises clients on legal, compliance, regulatory, and operational issues that arise in the insurance business.
- Merger, Acquisition and Disposition Services – Works with private companies as well as venture capital and private equity firms in connection with merger, acquisition and disposition transactions. Experience includes acquisitions of insurance marketing organizations, agencies and individual producers.
- Securities Transaction Services – Planning and advisory services in private placement transactions for companies at all stages of development. Experience includes early angel investments to later stage offerings.
- IT Procurement and Development – Experience includes preparation and negotiation of license agreements, software development agreements, service and support agreements, and equipment purchase agreements.
- Financial Services – Active role in formation and acquisition of broker dealers regulated by the Financial Industry Regulatory Authority (FINRA) and the SEC and advisory role in ongoing regulatory compliance.
- Data Security and Data Breach Response – Experience includes advising clients responding to data breach incidents, managing multi-state reporting and breach notification obligations and advising clients regarding data security obligations under state, federal and industry specific rules.
Vanderbilt University Law School
- Dean's List
- Vanderbilt Trial Advocacy Society
- Moot Court Board
BA, cum laude, 2004
- Author, "Employees Entitled to WARN Act Notice; Brookwood CON Decision Affirmed", Alabama Law Weekly Update, August 15, 2013
- Author,"Settlement Agreement with PACT Board Upheld", Alabama Law Weekly Update, April 23, 2013
- Author, "Review of Decisions from United States Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit the Alabama Court of Civil Appeals", Alabama Law Weekly Update, December 20, 2012
- Author, "Special Magistrate Report and Action Regarding Failure to Perform Under a Contract for Real Estate", Alabama Law Weekly Update, July 25, 2012
- Author, "Stock Photo Companies Target Infringing Businesses", The Counselor, Summer 2012
- Author, "Changes to Accredited Investor Definition Imposed by the Financial Reform Act", The Counselor, Winter 2010.
- Author, Sirote Weekly Alabama Law Update, November 18, 2009
- Author, “Getting a Grip on Identity Theft: Emerging Trends in Data Security Obligations”, The Counselor, Summer 2009